- To develop an enjoyment of musical activity in both solo and group situations.
- To introduce the term “beat” and develop accuracy in keeping the beat.
- To prepare the concept of rhythm (the pattern of the words of the song).
- To develop musical and independent in-tune singing.
- To explore the timbre of various percussion instruments.
- To teach listening skills - both to music, the teacher and other children.
- To refine the musical concepts of soft/loud (dynamics), fast/slow(tempo),
- To encourage confidence, independence, and turn-taking within a positive,
- To extend memory and concentration skills through singing, movement and
- To encourage improvisation and musical creativity through dramatic games,
role-play and question and answer songs.
- To develop two-part work - singing and performing the beat.
- To teach a wide repertoire of songs, games, rhymes and dances.